Friday, April 4, 2014

My first job

My first job after I completed my degree at the Fashion Institute of Design And Merchandising in Los Angeles was designing luxury t-shirts on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. I actually can't tell you about working there because they made me sign a confidentiality agreement about 400 pages long on my first day of work lol

BUT! I can tell you about the interview which was it's own kind of hilarity.

This all happened before the economy went to hell in 2005. So basically, I decided I needed a job. Sent off my resume. The next day I had an interview with them. And the third day I had myself a desk. The man who owned the company was a large Italian man who could take up the space in a giant room with his presence. He had a tiny blonde ex-fashion-model wife who was waif thin. She must have had the tiniest organs in history.

I met him in the store which was across from Tiffany's. He led me to the office where he sat me in a leather chair and then just left without saying anything. He returned with a lookbook opened flat to his chest so I couldn't see the cover.

"WHAT YEAR IS THIS?!" he thundered
"1987!" I blurted out
He closed the book and looked at the cover.
"HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT?! he demanded
"I just did..." I said
(Honest to God I have no freaking idea how I knew that. Like I said, somehow I just did.)
"BE HERE TOMORROW AT 9AM SHARP!" he thundered
And that is how I got my first job out of school designing luxury t-shirts on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.



No comments:

Post a Comment