Monday, November 24, 2014

Missing And Murdered Aboriginal Women

-at a fundraiser for missing and murdered aboriginal women-

Her(in the microphone): Sometimes I get really awkward and don't know what to do with my hands....and I always do the wrong thing. Like I will do this (she wraps her hands around her head in a twisty motion)
*the audience laughs in what I assume to be agreement (who hasn't been on a nervous date?!)*
Her: This next song is about that feeling

Well guys, I will blog about it with my (sometimes situationally awkward) hands.
(my very small way of giving back to a community that doesn't have the loudest voice, if one at all) 

It's astounded such blatant racism is still prevailing in the year 2014. We should have already progressed farther than this. 
When aboriginal women go missing they aren't searched for and this promotes this targeted violence. More than 1000 aboriginal women have been murdered since 1980.
And all human lives are of equal value. 

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has"-Margaret Mead


No comments:

Post a Comment